Finding Yourself at ERUUF
The Inquirers Series is offered each Sunday morning to welcome and inform visitors and friends about ERUUF. Members are welcome as well. You will converse with ministers, staff, and lay leaders as you learn about ERUUF’s values, culture and ministries, along with basics about Unitarian Universalism. Eight topics are covered, one per session, and then repeated throughout the year.
*The 8 Inquirers Series classes are required for those interested in becoming a member of ERUUF.
The classes are offered multiple times over the course of the year.
Classes take place in the Commons Room at 11:20 am - 12:20 pm after service, when we conduct single services in the summer.
Classes occur between services from 10:10 am – 11:10 am when we have two Sunday services from September – May.
Additional Inquirers Series class times will be offered on Wednesday evenings in the Fall and Spring (7 - 8 pm).
For those who prefer to take the classes all at once, a full day retreat will be offered on a Saturday (Dec. 1) and also in the Spring.
** Pre-registration ** needed for Wednesday (HERE) and Saturday classes (opens Oct 15).
The SERIES ...
1. Q&A with Minister (Sundays 8/5, 10/7, 12/9, & Wednesday 9/5)
An introduction to ministers, an opportunity to ask questions and understand how we “do church.”
2. UU History, Principles and Sources (Sundays 8/12, 10/14, 12/2, Wednesday 9/12)
Overview of Unitarian Universalism’s seven principles, six sources, and a brief history of our faith.
3. Campus Tour & Orientation (Sundays 8/19, 10/21, 12/16 & Wednesday 9/19)
A guided campus tour and brief history of ERUUF.
4. Faith Development for Children and Adults (Sundays 8/26, 10/28, 1/6, & Wednesday 9/26)
UU faith development philosophy and an overview of the offerings we have in Religious Education (RE) for children and Adult Programs.
5. Worship & Liturgical Year (Sundays 9/2, 11/4, 1/13, & Wednesday 10/3)
ERUUF’s liturgical cycle and program year; the elements of our worship services and how we celebrate holidays.
6. Social Action & Community Service (Sundays 9/16, 11/11, 1/20, Wednesday 10/10)
How and why Unitarian Universalism calls us to respond to injustice with social action and community service. Learn about opportunities to participate in advocacy and social justice practices at ERUUF and in Durham.
7. Pastoral Care and Small Groups (Sundays 9/23, 11/18, 1/27, & Wednesday 10/17)
Learn how we care for one another at ERUUF, and how being involved with Chalice Circles and Covenant Groups help us to connect.
8. Membership 101 & Congregational Life (Sundays 9/30, 11/25, 2/3, & Wednesday 10/24)
The rights and responsibilities of membership, what it means to be a steward of the congregation, how to become a member.